Excitement builds as Homecoming approaches

The+new+Greeley+West+commons+will+host+Homecoming+next+weekend.++It+will+be+the+first+Homecoming+in+the+new+building+and+Student+Council+is+looking+forward+to+turning+it+into+Ancient+Greece.++

Cole Bartels

The new Greeley West commons will host Homecoming next weekend. It will be the first Homecoming in the new building and Student Council is looking forward to turning it into Ancient Greece.

Cole Bartels, Staff Writer

This year at Greeley West High School, Homecoming is coming up very fast. Homecoming has always been an important part of Greeley West tradition and school spirit. Students are as excited as ever to attend the dance and the football game. 

This is also a big year for Homecoming because this will be the first Homecoming dance held in the new Greeley West building. 12th grader and Student Body President Sam Providence said, “ Hoco will be in the commons and will go out to the patios. The main dance area (will) probably be in the middle of the commons. ” 

The theme is “Lost in Ancient Greece,” which  was voted on by the student council executive board earlier this year.  

Providence is looking forward to her last Homecoming dance.  “I will be attending and am very excited,” Providence said.  “I really love just dressing up and dancing and being with all my friends.”

You don’t have to be on the executive board to be excited for this year’s dance.  9th grader Alahy Cerrillo is excited to see a high school dance come to life in front of her.  “I am just excited… it looks like fun from what I’ve heard and seen in movies,” Cerrillo said.  “I’m excited about the homecoming royalty voting, and am excited to see everyone’s dresses.”

Homecoming is really a chance for everyone to let down their hair and have fun with their friends and the people they care about. But it can also be a little nerve-racking especially for people who have never been. 9th grader Aron Carreon said, “I have never been before, and I am excited and nervous.”

Freshmen won’t be the only students experiencing Homecoming for the first time.  11th grader Silas Hernandez has missed his first few opportunities but plans to go this year.  “I am excited, but nervous because I never went in the past. But I am looking forward to going with friends, and maybe a date,” Hernandez said.  

Many people are also excited to see the theme this year and all the decorations.  Providence said, “We voted on it and it won by a landslide. The patio will be representing Mount Olympus, and as of now that is where the refreshments will be representing ancient Greece.”