Mexican-American Studies Society looks forward to welcoming new members

Photo Courtesy of Stephen Paulson

Students from last year’s Mexican-American Studies Society sets up for an event.

Malea Cuevas, Staff Writer

The school year is starting back up and with that so are the clubs. There are many new and returning clubs available for all students to join. A very special one in particular is Mexican-American Studies Society, often times referred to as MASS.

MASS is a cultural club at Greeley West for Latino/Latinx celebration, pride, and culture.  It is run by the students who make up the club.  MASS is determined to educate and spread the Latino culture throughout the student body and community.

Mr. Stephen Paulson, one of the teacher sponsors, commented, “The first thing I want kids to get out of this is the opportunity to have their voices heard, to celebrate culture, to make their teachers more aware of their life and their background and also to make kids feel like they have a place where they belong in school.“

Another staff member who contributes is Ms. Izbeth Pacheco.  She believes the club to be an important place to feel safe.  “(I want kids to) feel more comfortable, make friends, use your voice and have a free, safe space,” Pacheco said.

MASS is a place where all students can go to learn about their peers and to make the school a more inclusive place. Last school year, the club celebrated Dia de los Muertos at the UNC Campus Commons.  There was also a gallery art walk featuring highly respected Chicano muralist, Leo Tanguma.

MASS is a great opportunity for students to come together as a community and learn about a different culture or their own culture. There are lots of upcoming events they plan to be a part of like Car Caravan, Trick or Treat Street, Angel Tree and their own personal events like the Dia de los Muertos celebration held in October and a Mexican Independence Day event held on September 16. The meetings are still to be determined since the new schedule, but the community welcomes all students to join and let their voices be heard.

If you have any questions or are interested in the newest meeting updates please contact the following:

Stephen Paulson

email: [email protected]

Izbeth Pacheco

email: [email protected]