West students react to Queen of England’s death

Vanessa Chavez, Staff Writer

Elizabeth II, the former queen of England, passed away at the age of 96 last week. She was the longest reigning monarch in British history. she died at the Balmoral Castle in the United Kingdom. Her funeral is to take place Monday, September 19. The new King of England will be her eldest son Charles III, taking the throne at the age of 73. His coronation doesn’t have a set date yet. 

This news has taken the world by surprise and has shocked many people. Outside of England, she will be remembered by many people and even some kids at Greeley West High School. “I didn’t even believe she had died when I first found out about her death,” sophomore Joselyn Losoya said.

This event had some students shocked. Other students found her death more sad. “I loved the queen, she was my idol,” sophomore Leah Sanchez said. 

Other students like sophomore Camila Nabor weren’t really impacted by her death. “It was only a matter of time,” Nabor said. 

When the Queen was 21, she made a speech that was broadcasted on the radio where she dedicated her life to the service of the Commonwealth. She said, “I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service of our great imperial family to which we all belong.”

Her coronation day was on June 2, 1953. She took the throne at the age of 27, after the death of her father, King George VI. 

The queen’s death will be called a “traumatic” event for Britain. There is expected to be a national bank holiday in her honor. It is not told if students will get time off school to mourn the Queen, but it is to be expected. She will go down in history and will be taught to the future generations.