New hallways act as extensions to classroom

Sophomores Justin Kissinger-Soto (front) and Jovan Guidry work on AP Government for Mr. Cody Jiru at a work station in the hallway.

Cole Bartels

Cole Bartels, Staff Writer

At Greeley West High School, with a huge new building and wide halls, it is now possible for teachers to send their students into the hall for an alternative working environment. Many hallways are equipped with touch screens and plenty of tables and chairs to work on.  

Social studies teacher Mrs. Molly Rauh believes the hallways to be a privilege. “The students that I send into the breakaway space are very productive,” said Rauh. “But I am very careful about who I allow to be in that space.”

Another advantage to working in the halls is that there is more space to work on bigger projects, like posters.  Rauh said, “Part of it is that I only have desks in my room and in the halls they can spread out, write on posters, and use color, and do some collaborative things that sometimes don’t fit into a classroom.”

The hallways are also a great space for students to go when they need a bit of a change of scenery, especially with each class lasting an hour and a half.  Social studies teacher Mr. Cody Jiru said, “I think kids work better when they get a chance to get up, walk around, and stretch their legs. I think it kind of alleviates some of the stress they feel in the classroom, and gives them some time to hangout and work with friends, and they just feel less stressed.”

Jiru is also cautious about which students to allow in the halls to work. “I don’t send all my classes into the hall,” said Jiru. “Mainly just my more productive classes, like my AP Government class. And if they get off track I send them back into the classroom, but generally like to think my classes are on track,”