Spartans hope 2-1 start sparks successful basketball season

Desmond Ramirez, Staff Writer

The Greeley West boys basketball team kicked off their season and have found success.  They have defeated Berthoud and Skyline to begin the year 2-1.  

The Spartans have started the season strong… last year they the team didn’t win until they were five games into the season. Last year they ended up 7th in the 5A/4A Northern Basketball League, this year they are competing against the 6A/5A/4A league playing some top notch teams.

Senior Luis Garica stated, “I know we got a good group of seniors. Four of us are starting and I’m confident we are going to be better than last year.”

Being confident is key to winning. All the seniors know the past three years have been fill of losing. They are using that as fuel to strive and end on a good note. Garica isn’t the only one ready to show out and win. Everyone on the team is sure hyped for the season along with playing on the new court. The new court brings a new feeling and the addition of a digital scoreboard to add certain reactions everytime a play happens. 

Senior Skyler Propes confidently stated, “I am for sure more confident than last season. It just came with the experiences I learned from last year.” 

Propes knows what needs to be done in order to win. Not only did he acknowledge the goods, but oversaw the bad. Propes averaged 16.4 points last season and he’s hoping he does even better. 

Propes said, “ We are going to have to learn how to team-rebound for sure and improve with the defense.” 

Senior Jose Roman said, “It feels good to finally be here, having a chip on my shoulder with it being my last year.” Roman has played varsity all four years of high school career and is ready to leave a mark and show what he has to offer.