After successful tournament, West wrestling gears up for Eaglecrest Invite

Alejandro Verdugo, Staff Writer

The Greeley West boys wrestling team finished off a stellar tournament this past weekend at the Legends Dual at Legend High School.  It was the Spartans first tournament back from Winter Break and they made it a great one, placing 3rd overall.

Seniors Angel Orozco and Christian Dominguez played a huge role this past weekend with Christian placing 2nd place and Angel going 5-1 overall. The Spartans were able to pick up many pins which helped them place 3rd as a team. 

Senior Christian Dominguez, who wrestles at 138 lbs, has been on a tear this season, placing in all of the tournaments he’s wrestled in. Dominguez said, “Coming into this tournament, we knew we had to give it our all. The tournament at Legend was going to be a battle.”

Dominguez said the performance was the result of hard work over break and to start January.  “We were able to push ourselves past our limits in practice to get the results we wanted at the tournament,” Dominguez said. 

The Spartans are looking to improve upon last season when they had 7 wrestlers go to the state tournament. Five of those wrestlers returned to the team this year, so expectations are high.  

The Spartans are getting ready for their next tournament at Eaglecrest High School starting today.  

As they approached their next meet, senior KK Everest said, “The goal is to beat every single one of them like I’m their dad.”