Spartan seniors make fashion statement using only paper

The+lights+shine+down+on+Greeley+West+senior+Michelle+Pastrana+as+she+walks+the+runway+at+the+Paper+Fahsion+Show+in+Denver+last+week.+

Photo Courtesy of Susan Eastin

The lights shine down on Greeley West senior Michelle Pastrana as she walks the runway at the Paper Fahsion Show in Denver last week.

Alejandro Verdugo, Staff Writer

On Thursday, April 13, the Fashion Club had three seniors compete in the Paper Fashion Show at the Fillmore Auditorium in Denver. 

The One Club of Creativity sponsors this annual fashion show and anyone  is eligible to submit a design for the competition. The competition consists of choosing a theme of master art that inspires the competitors. Ninenty percent of the dress  had to be paper. It also must be wearable in order to model it at the show.  

This year’s fashion show included a total of 43 amatuer competitors.  The show also included professional artists and other fashion clubs who competed as well.

The Greeley West students who competed were Nay Blue Hser, Michelle Pastrana, and Damaris Lopez, all seniors in Fashion Club.  Hser was the stylist, Lopez was the designer, and Pastrana acted as the model.  The group had to submit a visual of their outfit to the judges a week before the competition.  The dress was finalized over the weekend leading up to the event.  

Fashion club sponsor and librarian Ms. Susan Eastin said, “It took around 70 hours in total to complete the dress.”

Pastrana said time management was important in completing the task.  “One of the biggest setbacks was definitely balancing out school work with helping design the dress. It was very stressful but much worth it,” Pastrana stated.  

Hser said the attention to detail was important as well as communicating with one another on the project.  “The hardest part was working on the dress for sure,” Hser said.  “We had to be very cautious so we wouldn’t ruin it.”

The Paper Fashion Show  was the first time any of the students competed in a fashion event.  The team was impressed with their final product and said it was well designed. “This is something I would reconsider doing if Ms. Eastin invites me back,” Pastrana said.