Swimmers qualify for state against Loveland

Sophomore Bennett Mueller lifts off during a dive against Loveland on Thursday, March 17.

Elise Johnson

Elise Johnson, Staff Writer

Swimmers dive into the pool against Loveland on Wednesday March 16.
Elise Johnson
Swimmers dive into the pool against Loveland on Thursday March 17.

Last Thursday, the Greeley West high school’s boys swim team faced off against the Loveland

in a close swim meet at the Greeley Recreation Center.  The final scores were 96.5 to 83.5 with the Spartans coming out on top.

Valuable wins for the Spartans came from seniors Bryce Fehringer and Brody Lewis. Lewis, a Frontier high school senior, took first in the 200 freestyle with a state qualifying time of 1:45. He also took first and qualified for state in the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:46.66.

Fehringer, a Platte Valley high school senior, won both the 100 breaststroke and the 200 individual medley with a state qualifying time of a 1:04 in the breast.

In addition to the dynamic seniors, many underclassmen stepped up to the plate. Freshman Nathan Kenigsberg took first in the 50 freestyle and sophomore Jackson Wuthrich took second behind Lewis in the 200 freestyle with a state qualifying time of 1:48.

Overall the Spartans performed very well; they qualified all three of the relays for the state meet and hope to have more individual qualifiers later this season.