Seniors end 4-for-4 against Greeley Central

Preston Marion

Sophomore Hanna Cropper matches up against her Greeley Central opponent on Monday, March 21.

Sylvia Rizo, Staff Writer

The Greeley West Girl’s Tennis team beat Greeley Central 5-2 on Monday at Centennial Courts in Greeley. West has beat the Wildcats each year for at least 16 years in a row.
Senior Emily Hopwood and junior Marlene Plascencia were the two Spartans who fell short in their matches.  “My opponent was very consistent, but I kept with it.” said Hopwood.
Hopwood lost her first set in a tiebreaker and was up 3-0 in her second set when Central’s Morgan Smith rallied to beat her 6-3. Smith played #2 singles last year, but is currently undefeated for the Wildcats at No. 1 singles.
The girl’s tennis team improved to 4-0 on the season.  The Spartans were very excited and confident going into Monday’s match. Sophomore Alyssa Rodello said, “I’d have to say that it was definitely exciting going in against our rivals. I think that Lily and I just had to stay humble and confident throughout the match to come out with the win.”
Coach Ryan Pace was proud of the girls for getting the job done, which to the senior class, has become an annual even.  “The opportunity to go 4 for 4 against the city rival for the seniors is pretty cool,” Pace said.
West travels to Fort Collins Tuesday and plays Fossil Ridge on Thursday. They hope to keep their undefeated record through these next two tough matches.