Tennis duo proud of season’s accomplisments

Connor Thompson, Staff Writer

The 2015-2016 Greeley West Girl’s tennis team had a season to remember. Being ranked in the top 10, a third place finish in the Front Range League, and having two girls qualify for state are just a few of the many highlights made by the girls this past season.

Senior, Kayla Hoskins said, “This year’s team was one of my favorite teams just because we were all so close, and everyone got along really well…we just had a great season overall.”

This past weekend, May 13th-15th, two seniors, Kayla Hoskins and Emily Hopwood competed at the state tournament at Gates Tennis Center in Denver, after qualifying at regionals at Cherry Creek High School. Hoskins qualified as a No. 2 singles for West and Hopwood qualified as a No. 1 singles.

As a validation for how close this year’s team was­­­, when asking Hoskins how the state tournament went, she quickly backed her teammate, Hopwood, up by saying, “State went okay. Emily played the girl who was expected to win state, so that was crazy to watch.” She then went onto say her teammate basically only lost because she played the number 1 seed. Hoskins lost in the first round as well.

Walking away from high school tennis, Hoskins says she’s going to miss her “teammates, being able to play all the time, practices, and just the whole environment of tennis.”

Although their seasons were cut short in the state tournament, Hoskins and Hopwood had very memorable, impressive seasons, along with the rest of the 2016 Greeley West girls tennis team.