Link Leaders welcome new freshmen

Link+Crew+leaders+pump+up+the+freshmen+at+Freshmen+Invasion+on+Thursday%2C+August+18.++

Kelly Stephens

Link Crew leaders pump up the freshmen at Freshmen Invasion on Thursday, August 18.

Xavier Vasquez, Staff Writer

Thursday morning as the freshmen came in for their “first” day at Greeley West High School, they were nervous and scared as any other freshman is at first. The Link Leaders that are made up of juniors, and seniors did their best to give them a huge welcome as the freshman came through the doors and down the stairs. They walked into a tunnel with the administration and Link Leaders clapping and shouting out to them.

Some of the students were totally embarrassed, while some seemed to fit right in and were giving high-fives to other students and teachers. When they sat down and got settled in, Ms. Kelly Stephens and Mr. Chuck Wolfe put about 5-6 students in each group accompanied with two Link Leaders. They were each assigned to different classrooms for team building skills and to get to know other students and learn more about the school.

In each of the rooms some students were still shy and not participating while others were laughing and joking around with each other. All of the games that they were playing were for them to learn fellow students’ names and realize the challenges that they would face in high school.

As the day went by the more of the students would talk to each other and bond like they had known each other forever. At the end of all the team building activities and games the Link Leaders had the opportunity to have a little fun with the incoming freshman. Some came back dressed as turtles, sumo wrestlers, and even super heroes! By the end of the day you could see the different expressions on each student from the time they walked in, to the time they left.