School year kicks off with loud assembly

Greeley+West+juniors+pose+for+a+picture+during+the+assembly+on+Friday.++The+juniors+won+the+Spirit+Stick+by+being+the+loudest+class.++

Peyton Book

Greeley West juniors pose for a picture during the assembly on Friday. The juniors won the Spirit Stick by being the loudest class.

Madeline Rodgers, Staff Writer

Greeley West High School kicked off the new school year with a roaring assembly on Friday, August 19, sending in the 1700 students forward with school spirit and hope for an academic but fun school year.

Before new Principal Jeff Cranson welcomed students and new staff members alongside Student Body President Juliet Cha, Student Body Vice President Faith Escobedo and Student Body Secretary Emmy Coleman, the senior class had their traditional run into the gym, complete with balloons, glow-sticks and plenty of confetti.

After the fun and games at the beginning of the assembly, things got down to business, with the school talent like the POMS, cheerleaders and school band giving the entire school body a great show of their talent and school pride.

Seniors take a quick lap to celebrate the start of the school year before Friday's assembly.
Peyton Book
Seniors take a quick lap to celebrate the start of the school year before Friday’s assembly.

Most of the assembly was strongly dedicated to getting students excited and Spartan proud, so naturally the competition for the GWHS Spirit Stick took place, with almost all the classes giving their all. The seniors, despite being far fewer than the freshman, out-yelled the both the sophomores and the freshman, but not the juniors, who stole away the Spartan Stick and even brought it into a first period class, only to have it confiscated by Dean of Students Brian Holmes.