Guest speaker drives students to ‘make history’

Greeley+West+students+Isiah+Roman+and+Lorenzo+Balderrama+help+guest+speaker+Timothy+Alexander+to+his+feet+at+an+assembly+on+Thursday%2C+August+25.++

Jordan Noland

Greeley West students Isiah Roman and Lorenzo Balderrama help guest speaker Timothy Alexander to his feet at an assembly on Thursday, August 25.

Jana Datteri, Staff Writer

Greeley West High School had its first all-school assembly that principal Jeff Cranson could remember on Thursday  with special guest Timothy Alexander. Alexander was a football prospect in high school who, despite adversity, became a full-time contributor at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

On October 28, 2006, Alexander’s whole world changed in a matter of seconds. His friend fell asleep at the wheel and the next thing he knew, he hit a light pole and the car started to catch on fire. The driver then panicked and pulled him out of the car, and by doing so, Alexander became paralyzed from the neck down. This life-changing incident is what brought him to visit West on Thursday.

“I was brain dead. I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t twist. All the doctors gave up on me and told me I would never be able to do this, do that. I proved them wrong,” Alexander stated.

Alexander explained to Greeley West students that he had to make a choice to either give up or fight through and make a difference. Alexander said, “I wanted to take my life because I didn’t want to be like this [paralyzed], but when I see these people I talk to, it changes me.”

After 10 years of intense therapy and fighting through the pain, Alexander stood up for the first time on July 28, 2016. He knew when he started that, “I didn’t need it to be easy, I just needed it to be possible,” Alexander repeatedly told his audience.  He proved just that when he stood up at the assembly in front of over 1500 students.  He proceeded to walk, with the help of two West students, Isiah Lorenzo and Lorenzo Balderrama in a circle to address the gymnasium.  Alexander said it was his first time doing that.

The overall message Alexander expressed was to live your life full and live your life happy because one day you could be doing what you love. “Although I can’t walk again, I want you to be my spine and legs. Think of me as you live your life.”

Guest speaker Timothy Alexander consoles a student who was brought to tears by his presentation on Thursday at Greeley West High School
Jordan Noland