Poms coach recognized as Coach of the Year

Peyton Book

Poms coach and theater teacher Ms. Peggy Freemole works with one of her classes on Friday. Freemole was honored as Colorado Spirit Coaches Association Dance Coach of the Year for 2016.

Peyton Book, Staff Writer

Only eight years into her coaching career, Ms. Peggy Freemole won the Colorado High School Activities Association Dance Coach of the Year award.  Since that time in 1997, Freemole  has made history with the Greeley West High School Poms team, continuing to keep the legacy of strong performances going.
As a result, Freemole was awarded the Colorado Spirit Coaches Association Dance Coach of the Year.  This is the same award Freemole won in 1997, but the association name has been switched.  To be selected for this award. spirit coaches around the state nominate and then vote on their favorite selection of nominees.
Freemole has been the dance coach at Greeley West High School for 27 years. You might ask what is her drive, and how has she kept such success in the building and community?  According to Freemole, “Coaching Poms allows me to share my love for dance and competition. I love dance as an art form and a way of expression.”
Freemole said she learns a lot from the Poms and the program is certainly something the school can be proud of.
“I’ve been so fortunate at West to work with some incredibly talented dancers. The Poms accept my craziness and my belief that nothing replaces hard work. It’s been a great honor and privilege,” Freemole said.
 This award was very special to Freemole because she was selected by multiple dance coaches, who are a typically competitive group when it comes to performances. Freemole explained, “We are fierce competitors, but we support each other too.”