District 6 hopes voters say yes to 3A

Brody Clark, Staff Writer

The last couple months there have been signs up around Greeley that say, “Say Yes to 3A.” This is a referendum that District 6 is trying to pass for Greeley School on taxes.

According to the Greeley-Evans website, District 6 has been extremely low on money and funding is becoming crucial. The low amount of money in District 6 has helped make wages for staff below market value and this is causing important positions to not be filled.

After multiple meetings, the mill levy was decided to worth approximately $12 million. A mill levy override is essentially an opportunity for communities to raise their taxes for a short time span to increase funds for a purpose. 3A would money into retaining and recruiting quality staff, safety and security in schools, personalized learning, and increasing student achievement, and to fund charter school priorities.

The majority of the money would be put into personalized learning and increasing student achievement.

Assistant Superintendent of Academic Achievement Stacie Datteri said, “This MLO (Mill Levy Override) would bring needed additional resources into our district that would be incredibly beneficial for our teachers and students.”

Since District 6’s resource level is low and state funding does not really help, getting the law passed would help schools, teachers, and students in various ways. Now it’s up to voters to decide on the merits of a higher tax.