West welcomes new athletic director

Michelle Lopez

Mr. Ken Denning talks with Luis Deleon in the weight room on Wednesday. Denning is enjoying his first few weeks as athletic director at West.

Michelle Lopez, Staff Writer

The 2016-2017 school year has already brought many changes for Greeley West High School. One of these changes includes the hiring of a new athletic director and his name is Ken Denning.

Denning is not new to this position as he has been an Athletic Director the past 10 years at two different high schools, Fossil Ridge in Fort Collins and Mountain View in Loveland.

When asked what he’s most excited about this school year, Denning said he hopes, “to continue and grow the winning traditions West has had in the past years.”

As a way to help continue these traditions, Denning has been enforcing policies that hold all student athletes to a high expectation. A few of these expectations include a zero tolerance for absences and no failing of more than two classes. Not meeting these expectations will lead to ineligibility to compete for the athlete.

Valverde, AlexJunior Alex Valverde was skeptical initially at the hiring of a new athletic director to follow Mr. Jeff Cranson who took over as principal at the end of last year. But after getting to know Denning, Valverde said, “I wish he would adopt me.”

Valverde added that he is excited to see how Denning will elevate the athletic program at West.