Chill counselor works to win over freshmen

New counselor Mr. Mitch Johnson works with AVID students in the commons on Tuesday.

Garrett Fink

Garrett Fink, Staff Writer

There is a new, chill, relaxed staff member that kids at Greeley West are gravitating to.  His name is Mr. Mitch Johnson and he is West’s new freshman counselor.

Johnson graduated from UNC last year after interning at Legend High in Parker last year.

Johnson is really excited to be starting his career at Greeley West.  “I love it. It’s unbelievable,” Johnson said.  He has enjoyed working with the freshman and AVID students and getting to have relationship with them.

Johnson said the best part of his job is the communication with students.  “I love getting to work with kids and fixing their problems they have,” Johnson said.

Johnson’s colleagues in the counseling office have enjoyed his presence as well.  “So far, I have seen him connect with the freshmen,” Ms. Marlene Rich said.

“He has a great relationship with the kids.  I see him joking around with them and having a good time,” Rich added.

Rich said it is always important to be positive in the counseling office, especially at the beginning of the school year when schedule changes can drive down happiness.  But she said Johnson was great and always positive about things.