Volleyball sweeps match in home opener

McGwire Bledsoe

Ashtyn Egan serves the ball against Horizon in West’s match on September 13, 2016.

Drew Mendez, Staff Writer

The Greeley West Volleyball team is off to a hot start after winning their first 5A Front Range League game. The Spartans pulled off a 3-0 win against Horizon High School last night in the  Greeley West gym.

The Spartans record is currently 4-3 after last night’s win.

After going 2-2 at the Silver Creek Tournament, the Spartans carried that motivation over to last night’s game to pull off the win.

After winning the first set 25-16, West won the second set by a mere 26-24. The Spartans were then able to close the game after winning the third set 25-19.

Senior Ryan Maddera expressed some of her thoughts about last nights win.  “Winning our first home game was really cool; it was one of those moments where you could pull it together and do really well or fall apart really easily,” Maddera said.

The future looks bright for the Spartans according to Maddera. “There was a lot of moments in last night’s game that gave us ‘clarity’ for the rest of the season. I like winning and it’s a good feeling so we hope to carry that feeling throughout the season,” Maddera said.

The Spartans will take on Rocky Mountain tomorrow at Rocky Mountain High School looking for their second league win.