STUCO readies blood drive for October

Michelle Lopez, Staff Writer

The Greeley West student council is hosting its annual blood drive. It will take place on October 11th all day from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. and will be located in the wrestling room.

It is open to all students 16 years of age and older. Students will need a parent signed permission slip if under the age of 18. Other requirements include being in between the weight of 110 pounds to 350 pounds.

Bonfills, the blood center that will be taking the blood recommends participants to eat within two hours and stay hydrated within 24-48 hours. There will be food and beverages provided for participants to take prior to the donation.

Students must present a valid identification at the time of the donation.

Health conditions will also play a role in blood donation eligibility. Donors cannot have a cold, diabetes, high blood pressure, or need the use of crutches at the time of the donation.

Student Council Advisor, Mr. Daniel Mork, encourages students to sign up because “essentially, the goal is to just help other people who really need the blood, only 1 pint of blood can help save up to 3 lives.”

Approximately 10% of the nation’s blood supply is given by high school-age donors.

For all students interested, the sign-up table will be during lunch next week in the lobby but hurry, space is limited.